Join Mary G, Queen of the Kimberley, as she tackles the issues and shows us what different communities are doing to quit smoking and “break the chain”.
Featured projects include:
• The Smokers Program, Maari Ma Primary Health Care, Broken Hill, NSW: Justin and his team help community members in the Broken Hill region to quit smoking.
• Broome Regional Aboriginal Medical Service, WA: Mena, the Healthy Lifestyle Worker, and Sharon, the Tobacco Action Worker, are running community education and activities to promote fitness and limit tobacco use.
• Clean Air Gippsland Campaign, Victoria: Paul, from the Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Co-operative, and the film crew from nbsproductions have worked with six young Indigenous people to produce television and radio ads discouraging smoking.
Download the Breathe Strong Learning Guide to use with the Breathe Strong: Tackling Smoking in Indigenous Health program.
The Breathe Strong DVD includes;
- Breathe Strong: Tackling Smoking in Indigenous Communities - half hour documentary
- Smoking: An Indigenous Health Challenge- one hour panel discussion
- Short videos- conversation starters about smoking
Smokecheck Program, Cherbourg, QLD
Mary G joins BRAMS Exercise class, WA
Mary G talks to Dave Pigram, Broome, WA
- Break the Chain advertisement
- Quit Together advertisement (aimed at pregnant women)
- Printable Resources:Healthy, Deadly and Strong Healthy Lifestyle Worker Toolkit
Live Longer! Community Health Action Pack
Supporting Smoking Cessation: a guide for health professionals produced by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
Medicines to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples stop smoking health worker and patient booklets
Comprehensive Learning Guide on strategies to tackle Indigenous smoking.
Tobacco Overview PowerPoint: Institute for Urban Indigenous Health, Brisbane, QLD
Cost of smoking PowerPoint: Tharawal Aboriginal Corporation Smoking Cessation Guidelines for General Practitioners - provided by RACGP